Saturday, May 7, 2011

Roasted Tomato Risotto

So, officially, my girl neither asked me to make this for her, nor did she actually eat any of it, nor was she even present while I was making it, or eating it, so really, this shouldn't be on this blog, but since this really is my blog, I'm putting it on. I did just make this, and just eat it, and it's about 10:30 in the morning. I enjoyed eating it for breakfast, but it would be just as nice at lunch, brunch, or dinner.

NICE!
Ingredients

1 Tomato
1 Clove Garlic
1 Tsp Hot Sauce
1 Tsp Avocado Oil
Salt and Pepper

1/3 Cup Scented Jasmine Rice
1/2 Tsp Dried Basil
Water as needed
25g Mozzarella Cheese (Roughly Diced)
White Truffle Oil to garnish

Directions

1. Wrap aluminum foil around a tomato and form a teardrop shape. Place in 400F oven and cook for about 30 minutes or until tender. Check periodically.

2. Crush tomato in bowl, removing some of the skin. Add garlic, hot sauce and avocado oil. Blend using an immersion blender, season, set aside.

3. Add rice directly to tomato mixture, stir until combined. Pour into cold saucepan, begin heating on medium heat.

4. Stir or shake saucepan to keep rice from sticking. Add water in small amounts when as moisture evaporates. V8 or tomato juice would work add more flavour, but would also mean more salt.

5. Cook until rice reaches desired tenderness, generally for risotto, the rice should still have some bite to it, but be somewhat soft as well. Add dried basil, season, stir.

6. Spoon into serving bowl, garnish with mozzarella and truffle oil.

2 comments:

  1. avocado oil?? ahhhhhhh

    spoon into my hose

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can actually get Avocado Oil (like I did) under Loblaws store brand for $9.99 per 500ML which is not too bad considering its imported from New Zealand. It doesn't taste quite as much like Avocado as I thought it would, but still has some taste to it (it is oil after all) and I imagine it will work really well for Guacamole if I actually get it into some before using it up for something else. Also it does have a really, really high smoke point, waaaay higher than most other oils, possibly even the highest of any edible oils, so it's good for high temperature frying. Also, it's high in good fats, and low in bad fats, so it's healthy too, for an oil.

    ReplyDelete