Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Vegetable Frittata and even simpler salad

So, on mother's day, I was at my mother's condominium building, and I found out that the building actually has an on site herb garden for the building residents. Seeing as how I used to live there, and that I never once took herbs from the garden, I took some fresh chives, just this once. There's also been alot of meat packed meals of late, so something "lighter" was desired. In this case though, something "lighter" ended up being something packed with cheese and eggs, but... oh well. There reallly isn't that much to making a frittata, I know this to be true, as I've never made a frittata before, and it turned out quite good. This particular baked puffy crustless quiche of an omelette was filled with freshly boiled potatoes, green pepper, onion, herbed havarti, and mozzarella cheese. Nothing really out of the ordinary here. The salad was the last of the mixed greens that I used in the steelhead trout meal from yesterday. I don't usually buy mixed greens in a box, but I did get four servings from it, and it was only $2.99, so I guess I shouldn't complain.


Ingredients

Frittata

7 Large Eggs
1 Russet Potato (Peeled and small diced)
1/2 Red Onion (Small diced)
1 Green Pepper (Small diced)
100g ea Herbed Havarti and Mozzarella Cheese (Finely Grated)
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
Pinch of Dried Basil
1 Clove of Minced Garlic
1/2 Tbsp of Sherry Vinegar

Even Simpler Salad

1 Handful of Mixed Field Greens Per Person
1 Splash of Lemon Juice
1 Splash of Avocado Oil


Directions
I used the same 1.9L saucier to prepare the whole meal. The rounded sides of saucier gave the frittata a pleasing shape.


1. Place the diced potatoes in a small saucier of cold, salted water. Bring to boil, cook until tender. Drain water, reserve potatoes, clean and dry saucier.

2. Whisk eggs in large mixing bowl and add sherry vinegar. Whisk until lots of air bubbles are present and eggs and vinegar are well combined.

3. Heat the saucier over medium heat, add olive oil, then add green peppers and onions to rippling oil. Saute, season, add garlic. When peppers and onions are tender crisp and garlic is not burnt but aromatic, add the potatoes. Combine, and turn off heat.

4. Add dried basil and 3/4 of each of the cheeses to the mixture. Stir to combine then place in a 300F oven until puffy and firm.

5.  Once puffy and firm, add remaining cheese to the top of the frittata and place under broiler until browned.

6. Remove, allow to cool slightly, and carefully slip the frittata out, and onto a cutting board. Slice, top with fresh chives, serve warm.

Salad

1. Plate greens on plate beside frittata, drizzle small amount of lemon juice and small amount of avocado oil onto greens.




No comments:

Post a Comment